Sunday, June 14, 2009

Added Skullworx kit to my helmet

So this month it was a toss-up between a mod kit for my E-11 or a sound system for my helmet. I decided to go with the Skullworx kit, as well as a spy-ear attachment, so I can better hear outside the bucket.

The spy-ear is a really badly made toy you could probably find at the dollar store, but I got it on ebay for $4. I didn't have to do much to open it up because it was already falling apart when I recieved it. It came with two extra batteries, as well, which is always a bonus. Once I opened up the unit I was able to remove the mic so I could mount it inside the right ear of my helmet. The wires from the circuit to the mic were way too short, so I was able to remove them and replace them with about 8 inches of copper wire. I decided to use copper wire so I would be able to better guide the mic to exactly where i wanted it placed. Here you can see how I mounted the whole skullworx kit along with the spy-ear box.

I installed the skullworx kit slightly differently than recommended way because of the configuration of the padding inside the helmet. I also added some industrial strength velcro to the tubing to hold it in place inside the bucket. The red button to the front switches the mic on, the one towards the back controls the fans. These are both easily accessible while wearing the helmet, so I can turn the mic off if I know I won't be talking for a while, to conserve battery life. On the upper left of the pic here, the little blue box is the spy ear that connects to the earphones from the skullworx kit. And the mic has an adjustable stem that can be moved rather easily with my lips once the helmet is on. The only thing that is difficult to control while in full gear is the spy-ear since it's switched off and on via the volume control. I used it for the first time yesterday at the Walk Now For Autism event. [I'm waiting for pictures to be posted to blog about the event].

No comments: