Monday, September 21, 2009

The Empire Baseball Game


MaulBaseball01
Originally uploaded by gfrenkel78
Here's a photo I edited for Maul. It began as a plain image of him holding an MR Force FX Saber. Adding the blade glow is pretty standard, but since the photo itself was taken in the shade more was needed. After using the usual process to add the saber glow I needed to make that as a light source. It's amazing what you can do with low flow settings on the paintbrush tool combined with screen overlay. Cautiously I added some "glow" to the TK and TB, as their armor would naturally catch and reflect the red glow of the blade. Applying it more generously the closer to the blade, and more sparingly the farther away. I carefully went over Fett as well, applying some of the light to his armor.

Before this picture could be considered finished it still seemed there was something missing. I played around with adding the red light to the ground for a while before I actually had something I felt was believable. Again, this only works for this photo because they are standing in the shade. Had this same photo be in direct sunlight, i think the blade glow alone with perhaps just a touch of red on the TK and TB would have been sufficient.

Honestly, I think Maul and Vader could have used some glow, but I haven't perfected using this method over black backgrounds -- it looks too glowy and very fake.

No comments: